VwWold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
VwWold

lincolnshire V.A.G enthusiast's

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

vr6 coil pack problems

Go down 
+2
falconer1
Ady
6 posters
AuthorMessage

vr6 coil pack problems Empty
PostSubject: vr6 coil pack problems   vr6 coil pack problems EmptyFri Oct 10, 2008 1:47 pm

well the other week me vr started to play up , i wont go into details but misfiring, eunning like sh*t and using more fuel than an aston martin....

now my coil pack has always had a slight crack in the plastic, wether this is where moisture has got in and caused problems i dont know but ive had the car 6 months without a prob, i popped to slims to try his and it ran ok so i knew then the coil pack was the prob...

the coil pack
vr6 coil pack problems 10102008049

the crack

vr6 coil pack problems 10102008050

i thought id do some reading up on the net and a bit of messin about with the pack when it was off, after stripping it down i then understood how it worked and why it sparked 2 plugs at the same time if each individual pack within the 'pack'

vr6 coil pack problems 10102008051

vr6 coil pack problems 10102008052

vr6 coil pack problems 10102008053

you can see the 3 packs in the unit, the pack thats closest to the crack and the radiator of the car is the one that has failed , this fires cylinders 6 and 1 , the next pack fires 4 and 3 and the final of the 3 packs fires 5 and 2,

ive got a replacement now and its on, the car is running 100% better but i think theres still another problem fuel wise as its very rich and wont start off the key with out dabbing the throttle... ill try and sort that tomorrow....

what im doing now is gonna get a mucho cheap set of 6 cylinder coils (from a v6 vectra etc) and see how they work, as paying £52 for a 2nd hand unit was expensive, £138 from gsf / euro parts is a skank and over £200 for a coilpack from vw is just unrealistic...

so why not see if i can use a pack from another car?? if it works ill make up a conversion lead to go from vw multi plug to vauxcrap one... we'll see how it goes when i win this vauxcrap coil...(a new vauxcrap coil made by bosh is only £42) so thats a massive difference!!

ill let you know how i get on....

santa santa
Back to top Go down
Ady
The Management
Ady

Number of posts : 1486
Registration date : 2007-08-04

PostSubject: Re: vr6 coil pack problems   vr6 coil pack problems EmptyFri Oct 10, 2008 1:56 pm

vr coil packs are available cheaper mate, i paid just under £75 for a brand new one from kings lynn volkswagen. i know it's more than £42 but it saves messing about with the wrong one Wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.vwwold.co.uk

PostSubject: Re: vr6 coil pack problems   vr6 coil pack problems EmptyFri Oct 10, 2008 2:01 pm

flippin heck why did the geezer on the phone at boston vw tell me they were gonna be £210+vat or what ever it was??

im still looking at an alternative as its stupid, ive seen tthem swanky msd packs you make up but there pricey so im trying to do a cheaper alternative just to see how it goes... f))k know hows you got it for that price ady cause crappy ones from gfs etc are £130 ish??? maybe its cause your in the trade you get super discount lol
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: vr6 coil pack problems   vr6 coil pack problems EmptyFri Oct 10, 2008 2:03 pm

anyways, my car is running now but still not right.... will get it right this week then its gonna have to go im afraid.... gonna go back to the mk4 golf, either a small engined one or a tdi for cheapness for traveling for me new job etc
Back to top Go down
falconer1
woldskool crew
falconer1

Number of posts : 529
Registration date : 2007-08-06

PostSubject: Re: vr6 coil pack problems   vr6 coil pack problems EmptySat Oct 11, 2008 1:03 am

just a thought but has it got a pipe going to the Ecu? Had a simular fault on mk3 using fuel heavily & poor running. Pipe didnt look damadged but replaced it anyway. It ran o.k afterwards.again just a thought but the mk3 fuel managment system can go crazy putting to much fuel in. This requires dianostics person to re-set. May be diffrent on a Vr?
Back to top Go down
bonezbusta
The Management
bonezbusta

Number of posts : 5944
Registration date : 2007-08-14

PostSubject: Re: vr6 coil pack problems   vr6 coil pack problems EmptySat Oct 11, 2008 5:35 am

glad its running better gaz!
Back to top Go down
http://www.vwwold.co.uk
messyman
woldskool crew

Number of posts : 375

PostSubject: Re: vr6 coil pack problems   vr6 coil pack problems EmptySat Oct 11, 2008 4:48 pm

ADY wrote:
vr coil packs are available cheaper mate, i paid just under £75 for a brand new one from kings lynn volkswagen. i know it's more than £42 but it saves messing about with the wrong one Wink

who?
Back to top Go down
http://vw-specials.forumotion.com/index.htm
tom
woldskool crew
tom

Number of posts : 2884
Registration date : 2007-08-05

PostSubject: Re: vr6 coil pack problems   vr6 coil pack problems EmptySun Oct 12, 2008 4:44 pm

Thumbs up gaz for taking the time to look at a damaged pack. Never seen one come to bits before so I've learned something new there. Providing the Vauxhall V6 coils are wasted spark and wired over right with a conversion lead it should do what you hope then. Let us know how you get on. As for poor starting would the air flow meter cause that? May have got dirtied up or some thing?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: vr6 coil pack problems   vr6 coil pack problems EmptyMon Oct 13, 2008 2:32 pm

yeah it think i need a new maf and lamba and the blue temperature sensor, will have to get a price on those... will be spot on then Smile least its running now, wouldnt have been able to get to new job today if it werent running!!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: vr6 coil pack problems   vr6 coil pack problems EmptyMon Oct 13, 2008 2:34 pm

the vauxhall ones do run on the same wasted spark system, so just need a plug from a vauxhall loom as well and it should be easy
Back to top Go down
JaMiE
woldskool crew
JaMiE

Number of posts : 840

PostSubject: Re: vr6 coil pack problems   vr6 coil pack problems EmptyWed Oct 29, 2008 3:28 pm

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: vr6 coil pack problems   vr6 coil pack problems Empty

Back to top Go down

vr6 coil pack problems
Page 1 of 1