VwWold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
VwWold

lincolnshire V.A.G enthusiast's

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

HELP

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
CALLUMPOLO
fresh meat!

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2008-10-18

HELP Empty
PostSubject: HELP   HELP EmptyMon Oct 27, 2008 6:41 am

HI I NEED HELP, IV GOT A MK4 4MOTION WHICH HAS BIN ROLLED!, SO I WANTED TO CONVERT IT IN TO A MODERN TAKE ON A CADDY PICK-UP! BUT DONT REALLY NO HOW TO GO ABOUT IT, DOES ANYBODY NO WOT THE LEGAL REQUIREMENTS WOULD BE FOR A PROJECT LIKE THIS, AND AS ANYBODY GOT ANY IDEA WOT ID HAVE TO DO TO STRENGTHEN IT ONCE THE ROOF OFF!!!!!!! OPEN TO ANY COMMENTS PLEASE HELP
suicide
Back to top Go down
vw-jib
woldskool crew

Number of posts : 247
Registration date : 2008-07-05

HELP Empty
PostSubject: Re: HELP   HELP EmptyMon Oct 27, 2008 9:01 am

yes you will have to get it professionally jigged, to see how much is bent, then after you have done all of your work it would probably have to go for a sva test just to make sure its road legal.

Hope this helps you out abit
Back to top Go down
CALLUMPOLO
fresh meat!

HELP Empty
PostSubject: Re: HELP   HELP EmptyTue Oct 28, 2008 5:48 am

its only the rear end of the roof thats nakered thts y im gona chop it out, it was wrote of but i bought it bk 4 £1500 iv had it checked and its only the rear of the roof, theres no jigging needed, i just need help really on how id go ona bowt turning it in to a caddy
Back to top Go down
vw-jib
woldskool crew

Number of posts : 247
Registration date : 2008-07-05

HELP Empty
PostSubject: Re: HELP   HELP EmptyTue Oct 28, 2008 2:27 pm

well i would take all the interior out, chop the back off then weld a steel sheet up as a back board and plate the rest of back up, fold the sides and get a bodyshop to smooth the sharp edges.
Back to top Go down
CALLUMPOLO
fresh meat!

HELP Empty
PostSubject: Re: HELP   HELP EmptyTue Oct 28, 2008 4:30 pm

yes i had all tht in mind but dnt no how to strengthen it once iv choped it and would like to know wot the law has to say about it
Back to top Go down
tom
woldskool crew
tom

Number of posts : 2884
Registration date : 2007-08-05

HELP Empty
PostSubject: Re: HELP   HELP EmptyTue Oct 28, 2008 5:33 pm

Id say you will need to strengthen the sills up mate. You do when you convert old moggie minors, minis etc into cabrios so I'm guessing you would with this. Hard work mate but if you pull it off it could be very awesome! I'm guessing you'd also want to brace the shell before you remove the roof. Your best source of advise would be from a web site, book or someone who knows a lot about hotrodding. All those roof chops and chopped n channelled rides need a lot of care in this area!
Back to top Go down
Crowson_punk
woldskool crew

Number of posts : 604
Registration date : 2007-08-07

HELP Empty
PostSubject: Re: HELP   HELP EmptySun Nov 02, 2008 3:37 pm

cheat and put a full cage in.

That way you get all the strength and it looks cooler than lots of extra steel.

so....

a cage in the front where you sit, with the rear bars tying back to the wheelarches and the suspension mount. A bar running under the sills would help as it'll help hold the "scuttle shake" in check. Anyone who's driven a mk1 cabby hard can tell you about this lol

I have a crazy plan involving a rocco and a body saw/welder/tubular steel lol so i've put a lot of thought into it!!!!

Jon.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

HELP Empty
PostSubject: Re: HELP   HELP Empty

Back to top Go down

HELP
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
VwWold :: Technical advice section-
Jump to: