VwWold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
VwWold

lincolnshire V.A.G enthusiast's

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

shakey steering wheel issues

Go down 
+7
tom
bonezbusta
Briggs-e
corey
adi
falconer1
lupolu
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
lupolu
woldskool crew
lupolu

Number of posts : 3009
Registration date : 2007-08-05

shakey steering wheel issues Empty
PostSubject: shakey steering wheel issues   shakey steering wheel issues EmptyTue Feb 24, 2009 6:14 am

so i got my new tyres put on, balanced and got the laser trackin shizzle done at bush (in louth this time!)

im not sure if there was as much play in the steering wheel as there is now before i got it done and now my steering wheel shakes/vibrates (wahey) at 70 mph.

I heard its down to incorrect balancing, is this correct?
Back to top Go down
falconer1
woldskool crew
falconer1

Number of posts : 529
Registration date : 2007-08-06

PostSubject: Re: shakey steering wheel issues   shakey steering wheel issues EmptyTue Feb 24, 2009 7:20 am

sounds like balancing is out, take it back to bush's get it checked out.
Back to top Go down
adi
woldskool crew

Number of posts : 1795
Registration date : 2007-11-04

PostSubject: Re: shakey steering wheel issues   shakey steering wheel issues EmptyTue Feb 24, 2009 10:09 am

damn right, i'd have turned around and been straight back there
Back to top Go down
corey
fresh meat!

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2009-01-13

PostSubject: Re: shakey steering wheel issues   shakey steering wheel issues EmptyTue Feb 24, 2009 10:58 am

As said above if there were no issues before having the work done, get the garage to inspect and report.
Before driving though I would ensure they have actually tightened your wheels up though.
Did they give you a printout of the alignment? Post it up
Back to top Go down
http://www.quattronics.co.uk
Briggs-e
woldskool crew
Briggs-e

Number of posts : 807
Registration date : 2007-07-19

PostSubject: Re: shakey steering wheel issues   shakey steering wheel issues EmptyTue Feb 24, 2009 11:03 am

wheel balance mate, take it back
Back to top Go down
lupolu
woldskool crew
lupolu

PostSubject: Re: shakey steering wheel issues   shakey steering wheel issues EmptyTue Feb 24, 2009 11:29 am

might not be till sat then cos i duno if i will get there in time in the week. not sure if there was as much play in the steerin either.

yeh i got a print out, dont understand it but the lad said my alignment was quite bad.

well i been back from louth, to hull and back and work a few dys now so i guess my wheel nuts are ok!
Back to top Go down
corey
fresh meat!

PostSubject: Re: shakey steering wheel issues   shakey steering wheel issues EmptyTue Feb 24, 2009 11:39 am

Put the print out up.
Back to top Go down
lupolu
woldskool crew
lupolu

PostSubject: Re: shakey steering wheel issues   shakey steering wheel issues EmptyTue Feb 24, 2009 11:42 am

hang on!! keep ya wig on!
Back to top Go down
corey
fresh meat!

PostSubject: Re: shakey steering wheel issues   shakey steering wheel issues EmptyTue Feb 24, 2009 11:43 am

If you knew me you would know that was a daft statement Wink
Back to top Go down
lupolu
woldskool crew
lupolu

PostSubject: Re: shakey steering wheel issues   shakey steering wheel issues EmptyTue Feb 24, 2009 11:48 am

shakey steering wheel issues 24February2009
Back to top Go down
bonezbusta
The Management
bonezbusta

Number of posts : 5944
Registration date : 2007-08-14

PostSubject: Re: shakey steering wheel issues   shakey steering wheel issues EmptyTue Feb 24, 2009 11:51 am

lol mine was out 22mm or some sh*t on the vr when it was first lowered!! passat before was 15mm which was a personal best until the vr!!lol!
Back to top Go down
http://www.vwwold.co.uk
lupolu
woldskool crew
lupolu

PostSubject: Re: shakey steering wheel issues   shakey steering wheel issues EmptyTue Feb 24, 2009 11:53 am

mate, i got no idea what any of that means! not sure why they gave me it really.
Back to top Go down
bonezbusta
The Management
bonezbusta

PostSubject: Re: shakey steering wheel issues   shakey steering wheel issues EmptyTue Feb 24, 2009 11:54 am

lol so briggs-e or ady can read it and say yeah thats fooked,useless bsh tosser's!!lol
Back to top Go down
lupolu
woldskool crew
lupolu

PostSubject: Re: shakey steering wheel issues   shakey steering wheel issues EmptyTue Feb 24, 2009 12:00 pm

mr svf isnt fooked Sad
Back to top Go down
bonezbusta
The Management
bonezbusta

PostSubject: Re: shakey steering wheel issues   shakey steering wheel issues EmptyTue Feb 24, 2009 12:01 pm

no the balancing i meant
Back to top Go down
corey
fresh meat!

PostSubject: Re: shakey steering wheel issues   shakey steering wheel issues EmptyTue Feb 24, 2009 12:03 pm

Basically all they have done is put the toe to the mean setting.
They haven't touched camber. The high negative camber -2 degrees on the front will make it follow the ruts in the road at high speed, but will give good turn in on slow speed corners.
The rear toe could do with reducing slightly to counteract the camber and would aid handling.
Rear camber is ok but I would reduce the front to be closer to -1 degree, plus the tyre wear will be a killer where it is now.

If your passing by and want it setting up so it handles better pop in.
Back to top Go down
lupolu
woldskool crew
lupolu

PostSubject: Re: shakey steering wheel issues   shakey steering wheel issues EmptyTue Feb 24, 2009 12:07 pm

passing by lol erm, no in a word! im an hour away from lincoln. so why have they done fuk all n charged me 56 quid for it. they saw me comin dint they!
Back to top Go down
lupolu
woldskool crew
lupolu

PostSubject: Re: shakey steering wheel issues   shakey steering wheel issues EmptyTue Feb 24, 2009 12:15 pm

i swear bush have it in for me they always fuk me over. no doubt i will get charged when i take it back as well.
Back to top Go down
corey
fresh meat!

PostSubject: Re: shakey steering wheel issues   shakey steering wheel issues EmptyTue Feb 24, 2009 12:24 pm

To be fair to them (and I not sticking for them as I have no affiliation with them) they will have a minimum charge for putting any car onto the equipment and the checks they do prior to reading the chassis, us for example spend an hour just getting the car onto our equipment before any measurement is taken but then we have to cater for track day weapons and we have to be able to measure a little bit more than most places.

I do find it curious though that with the front camber being out of tolerance they haven't put it back within specification, or at the very least asked the customer if that was how they wanted it setting?
Back to top Go down
lupolu
woldskool crew
lupolu

PostSubject: Re: shakey steering wheel issues   shakey steering wheel issues EmptyTue Feb 24, 2009 12:29 pm

the front camber (that they have hardly changed) isnt within the min and max marks is it?
Back to top Go down
lupolu
woldskool crew
lupolu

PostSubject: Re: shakey steering wheel issues   shakey steering wheel issues EmptyTue Feb 24, 2009 12:47 pm

so my boss should let me off a bit early mora so im gonna ring up before n say i spoke to a few ppl includin a mechanic i.e corey lol Razz and say that the balancin isnt right and i was the front camber reducing and the rear toe down a bit!

anything else?
Back to top Go down
corey
fresh meat!

PostSubject: Re: shakey steering wheel issues   shakey steering wheel issues EmptyTue Feb 24, 2009 12:49 pm

Tolerance range is -50 minutes to – 10 minutes
It’s pre figure was left -2 degrees 5 minutes, right was -1 degree 59 minutes.
It’s post figure was left -2 degrees 8 minutes, right was -1 degree 59 minutes

Not within specification at all.

Certain new Audi's and VW's don't allow the front camber to be changed at all, what year is your car? and is it lowered at all?
If yours is one of the type that cannot be adjusted, getting camber adjustable top mounts would be an option.
Back to top Go down
lupolu
woldskool crew
lupolu

PostSubject: Re: shakey steering wheel issues   shakey steering wheel issues EmptyTue Feb 24, 2009 12:53 pm

03 and its on coilies and yeh now you mention it its only height adjustable so is that why?
Back to top Go down
corey
fresh meat!

PostSubject: Re: shakey steering wheel issues   shakey steering wheel issues EmptyTue Feb 24, 2009 1:52 pm

9N chassis?

Camber can be adjusted on yours, rear would need camber shims (wedges).
How worn were the old tyres?
Back to top Go down
lupolu
woldskool crew
lupolu

PostSubject: Re: shakey steering wheel issues   shakey steering wheel issues EmptyTue Feb 24, 2009 2:55 pm

9n? no idea wyres were more crackin and perished than worn to be honest but i think 2 were on the limit.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: shakey steering wheel issues   shakey steering wheel issues Empty

Back to top Go down

shakey steering wheel issues
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
VwWold :: Technical advice section-
Jump to: