VwWold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
VwWold

lincolnshire V.A.G enthusiast's

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

fuelling problem

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
adi
woldskool crew

Number of posts : 1795
Registration date : 2007-11-04

fuelling problem Empty
PostSubject: fuelling problem   fuelling problem EmptyThu Apr 23, 2009 4:01 pm

Over the past week or so my car got itself a problem, when it gets hot in traffic, it starts losing power and kangaroo jumps very erratically, pops, farts, spits flames then eventually dies, but while doing this the fuel pump makes some strange noises.

So I changed the fuel pump yesterday (bitch of a job), and all was well until today when it did it again in lincoln. But when I let it cool down, starts up and drives fine. So for the time being I've wired a switch for the radiator fan to my dash, so I can keep the coolant temp down and see how it goes.

Does any1 have any idea whats causing this? I'm thinking maybe a fault with the K jet system?
Back to top Go down
adi
woldskool crew

fuelling problem Empty
PostSubject: Re: fuelling problem   fuelling problem EmptyFri Apr 24, 2009 9:27 am

OK I now know that my cunning fan switch hasnt done the trick, nor has unplugging the cold start injector, so any other ideas would be appreciated
Back to top Go down
bonezbusta
The Management
bonezbusta

Number of posts : 5944
Registration date : 2007-08-14

fuelling problem Empty
PostSubject: Re: fuelling problem   fuelling problem EmptyFri Apr 24, 2009 10:25 am

dunno mate sounds a bit odd,stick some redex thru it,u might have some dislodged gunk or something in the fuel line,a good drive to clear its throat and see whats what?! other than that not a clue unless its the choke sticking open or something daft and its flooding it,mines a twat if i drive say a mile,stop,try and go and it splutters and sometimes wont even go,when it turns over it back fires.but if i drive to sutton say,5 miles ish then it is fine,sounds like the problems are related even if not the same!?
Back to top Go down
http://www.vwwold.co.uk
falconer1
woldskool crew
falconer1

Number of posts : 529
Registration date : 2007-08-06

fuelling problem Empty
PostSubject: Re: fuelling problem   fuelling problem EmptyFri Apr 24, 2009 2:07 pm

Take it u changed fuel filter adi? Also what bout the temp sensors i know on rado's the temp sensor breaks down & causes car to run pants.
Back to top Go down
jackovw
woldskool crew
jackovw

Number of posts : 526
Registration date : 2007-08-07

fuelling problem Empty
PostSubject: Re: fuelling problem   fuelling problem EmptyFri Apr 24, 2009 11:58 pm

Which fuel pump did you change? The one under the floor in the black 'box' or the one in the tank? The one in the tank is a lift pump does naff all in terms of running the car, it just makes sure the 'box' under the car is full. If you changed the one underneath, was it deffo a 16v pump you fitted cos a K-Jet one is different to a Digifart one.......

The problem sounds to me like fuel evaporation or you have an air leak somewhere that only makes itself known when it gets hot which could be an arse to find.

Jacko
Back to top Go down
adi
woldskool crew

fuelling problem Empty
PostSubject: Re: fuelling problem   fuelling problem EmptySat Apr 25, 2009 5:57 am

I changed the fuel pump under the floor, and it was definately the right one, looks identical. I didn't however change the fuel filter, as I'm not sure where it is, I know there's 2 little cylinders either side of the pump, but not sure what's in each of them.

I doubt its a filter related problem though, as it only does it when the car has been idling for a period of time.

Falconer which temp sensors should I be looking at? The one on the thermostat? Or does my car have an air temp sender?
Back to top Go down
falconer1
woldskool crew
falconer1

fuelling problem Empty
PostSubject: Re: fuelling problem   fuelling problem EmptySat Apr 25, 2009 10:57 am

Adi could be number of things mate like jackvw says air leak check ur inlet manifold , timing . Fault on ignition system . May need a mechanic on the job mate. Good luck man!
Back to top Go down
adi
woldskool crew

fuelling problem Empty
PostSubject: Re: fuelling problem   fuelling problem EmptySat Apr 25, 2009 2:11 pm

Forgot to mention I changed the dizzy cap yesterday after looking at it and the contacts didn't look too good. I hate paying people to do things on my car Sad
Back to top Go down
falconer1
woldskool crew
falconer1

fuelling problem Empty
PostSubject: Re: fuelling problem   fuelling problem EmptySun Apr 26, 2009 12:56 am

Yeah mate im the same but sometimes you need the mechanic to help.
Back to top Go down
adi
woldskool crew

fuelling problem Empty
PostSubject: Re: fuelling problem   fuelling problem EmptyThu Apr 30, 2009 8:10 am

is there a chance the lift pump in the tank could be at fault? I'm wondering if the whirring sound in the main pump is because the lift pump isn't doing it's job, or because the seive is blocked possibly? I notice its doing it more the less fuel I have in the car!

what a bugger when MOT is due in 2 weeks and I need to get rid of the car in the future as I'm going to need a bigger car Wink
Back to top Go down
tom
woldskool crew
tom

Number of posts : 2884
Registration date : 2007-08-05

fuelling problem Empty
PostSubject: Re: fuelling problem   fuelling problem EmptyThu Apr 30, 2009 5:07 pm

Could be mate, there's a panel under the back seat, pop it out and you can get to the tank to check.
Back to top Go down
adi
woldskool crew

fuelling problem Empty
PostSubject: Re: fuelling problem   fuelling problem EmptyFri May 01, 2009 3:41 am

checked this yesterday, was a bit of a pig to get out without damaging the fuel guage sender, didnt seem too filthy, but gave it a clean nonetheless and touch wood it hasn't played up since!

Funny how I've had 2 stripped out 8v's in the past and I was sure the little hatch was under the back seat, but turns out on mine its under the boot carpet next to the spare wheel well!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

fuelling problem Empty
PostSubject: Re: fuelling problem   fuelling problem Empty

Back to top Go down

fuelling problem
Page 1 of 1