VwWold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
VwWold

lincolnshire V.A.G enthusiast's

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

how to split 20 year old split rims, without snappin a bolt!

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
BEESE
Original Woldskool Crew
Original Woldskool Crew
BEESE

Number of posts : 1678
Registration date : 2007-08-05

how to split 20 year old split rims, without snappin a bolt! Empty
PostSubject: how to split 20 year old split rims, without snappin a bolt!   how to split 20 year old split rims, without snappin a bolt! EmptyWed Sep 19, 2007 3:33 pm

seein as ive just done all four of my early edition one bbs rms, i thought id share with you all just how i did it.
it may not be the "official" (scene) way of doin it , but hey, it worked a treat for me!!
firstly , turn the wheel upside down, and with a small sharp pointy object, scrape around the ends of the bolts( this disturbs any dirt that might get in the way of stage 2).
stage two, still with the wheel face down, spray wd40 or equivalent onto the bolt ends, give them a good soaking, and leave the wheel face down for 2-3 hours, this allows the penetrating oil to work its way up the bolt threads, i did go back to each wheel after around an hour to give them some more spray too.
stage 3, i found this easier to do with tyre still on, start undoin the bolts by hitting the heads with the 8mm double hex socket that you use to undo them (the jarring action helps free them off) the reason for leavin the tyre on is because the bolts are so tight that without the tyre on it would just spin the wheel as you undo the bolts, i found that the tyre helps you grip the wheel while undoing.
leave a couple of bolts in, then remove tyre, undo the remaining bolts, then using a soft hammer, whack the outers off, i found 2 or 3 good whacks got them off.
and there you go, the job that everyone said couldnt be done, is infact done! cheers
il let you know how i build them up when the time comes.
Back to top Go down
bonezbusta
The Management
bonezbusta

Number of posts : 5944
Registration date : 2007-08-14

PostSubject: Re: how to split 20 year old split rims, without snappin a bolt!   how to split 20 year old split rims, without snappin a bolt! EmptyThu Sep 20, 2007 11:30 am

nice 1 beese,have to try that method on briggs-e's posh rims!! naughty!
Back to top Go down
http://www.vwwold.co.uk
BEESE
Original Woldskool Crew
Original Woldskool Crew
BEESE

PostSubject: Re: how to split 20 year old split rims, without snappin a bolt!   how to split 20 year old split rims, without snappin a bolt! EmptyThu Sep 20, 2007 1:48 pm

the outers are currently on their way to u bud!
Back to top Go down
bonezbusta
The Management
bonezbusta

PostSubject: Re: how to split 20 year old split rims, without snappin a bolt!   how to split 20 year old split rims, without snappin a bolt! EmptyThu Sep 20, 2007 1:49 pm

briggs-e got em? Wink
Back to top Go down
BEESE
Original Woldskool Crew
Original Woldskool Crew
BEESE

PostSubject: Re: how to split 20 year old split rims, without snappin a bolt!   how to split 20 year old split rims, without snappin a bolt! EmptyThu Sep 20, 2007 2:08 pm

yes mate, were both off work tommorow, so i gave him them tonite, see what you can do mate.
Back to top Go down
bonezbusta
The Management
bonezbusta

PostSubject: Re: how to split 20 year old split rims, without snappin a bolt!   how to split 20 year old split rims, without snappin a bolt! EmptyFri Sep 21, 2007 1:31 am

ok mate no wuckin forries! Wink
Back to top Go down
BEESE
Original Woldskool Crew
Original Woldskool Crew
BEESE

PostSubject: Re: how to split 20 year old split rims, without snappin a bolt!   how to split 20 year old split rims, without snappin a bolt! EmptySat Sep 22, 2007 12:52 pm

what dya reckon then?? bo-loxd??
Back to top Go down
bonezbusta
The Management
bonezbusta

PostSubject: Re: how to split 20 year old split rims, without snappin a bolt!   how to split 20 year old split rims, without snappin a bolt! EmptySat Sep 22, 2007 12:59 pm

pretty fooked! but i am gonna ave a go n see what happens,will get u some pic's up when i get started,recon nitromorse will get rid of a fair bit of the crap on them,and my new compounds should get and marks out,dont expect miracle's tho,then u wont be dissapointed! but i reckon i can get atleast 2 half way right! Wink
Back to top Go down
BEESE
Original Woldskool Crew
Original Woldskool Crew
BEESE

PostSubject: Re: how to split 20 year old split rims, without snappin a bolt!   how to split 20 year old split rims, without snappin a bolt! EmptySat Sep 22, 2007 1:25 pm

theres a set of original 0.5in lips finishin tonite on ebay, £75 plus 15 postage, thing is i only need two, cos im gonna have the rears wide.
if you reckon you can get 2 somethin like , im gonna wait for 2 back off you i think. it would be ok to buy the others , but the rears are gonna cost 85 each for 3 inches! so id be way over budget!
at least if i can get rollin on just 2 new wide ones , i can always buy some more later on.

il leave it in ya capable hands mate, if they come up good, il sort u out, as well as givin u the other 2. afro
Back to top Go down
bonezbusta
The Management
bonezbusta

PostSubject: Re: how to split 20 year old split rims, without snappin a bolt!   how to split 20 year old split rims, without snappin a bolt! EmptySat Sep 22, 2007 1:41 pm

ok mate,i reckon they should shine,i will start em monday n get u sum progress pics!
Back to top Go down
blackbeautymk2
fresh meat!
blackbeautymk2

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2007-11-27

PostSubject: splitties   how to split 20 year old split rims, without snappin a bolt! EmptyThu Nov 29, 2007 6:35 pm

I split my BBS RM's and never had any troubles, i hust got the 8mm socket and the bar on them to crack them off and just whipped them out with a buzz gun, then i found that wynns instant gasket maker was just right to reseal the wheels, just whack a nice bead around the face the dish sits on and then when you tighten the bolts up it comes nicely through the bolt holes at the back and then i just filled the gap at the back between the centre and the dish. They have not leaked once and have had to split one since and it too is no bother.
When i was getting the curbing off my dishes i first just lathered them in nitromors and then just worked my way throught the wet and dry grades from 80 to just remake the lip roughly all the way to 1200, followed by G3, T cut and then autosol. This method brought my dishes up like glass!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: how to split 20 year old split rims, without snappin a bolt!   how to split 20 year old split rims, without snappin a bolt! Empty

Back to top Go down

how to split 20 year old split rims, without snappin a bolt!
Page 1 of 1