VwWold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
VwWold

lincolnshire V.A.G enthusiast's

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

engine swap question

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
adi
woldskool crew

Number of posts : 1795
Registration date : 2007-11-04

engine swap question Empty
PostSubject: engine swap question   engine swap question EmptyFri Apr 30, 2010 3:55 am

Now after the holiday touch wood the golf has been super reliable, although I've noticed since I've serviced it (and assuming the new oil is much thinner than the old sludge) its burning a bit of oil and passing some stinky blue smoke. I assume 200,000 miles has taken its toll on the little HK lump and I will have worn rings and valve stem seals.

I'm thinking of swapping the engine rather than rebuilding it, but it seems more sense to put a 1.6 or a 1.8 carb lump in than another 1.3. I will be wanting a carb lump rather than injection as I'm no good with wiring and don't want the hassle. So my question is this; is there anything other than the following I'l need to convert?

engine
gearbox
inlet/exhaust manifold
subframe
fuel pump
front brakes

I'm planning on buying a cheap donor car to do this so I know I definately have everything (and because I'm tight and I'l break the car to make some money back)
Back to top Go down
swainymk2
woldskool crew
swainymk2

Number of posts : 329
Registration date : 2007-12-30

PostSubject: Re: engine swap question   engine swap question EmptyFri Apr 30, 2010 5:26 am

you wont need fuel pump cus on the carb lumps there already on the engine, subframe you wont need either as there all same on non gtis, brakes i should get some gti calipers and discs straight bolt on from the 1.3s and vented too.
Back to top Go down
adi
woldskool crew

PostSubject: Re: engine swap question   engine swap question EmptyFri Apr 30, 2010 7:21 am

will my 1.3 driveshafts mate up to a different gearbox? I know theyre all the flange type with special bolts
Back to top Go down
jackovw
woldskool crew
jackovw

Number of posts : 526
Registration date : 2007-08-07

PostSubject: Re: engine swap question   engine swap question EmptyFri Apr 30, 2010 2:57 pm

Not sure about shafts but most of the bits are the same on all Mk2's.

If you are struggling to find a donor vehicle I got a 1600 carb lump with box and shafts thats ready to swap over - converted to GTi exhaust manifold and downpipe and its the 5 speed 020 with the silly final drive so its geared for something like 160mph (or sensible revs and fuel economy on a run....)
Back to top Go down
adi
woldskool crew

PostSubject: Re: engine swap question   engine swap question EmptySat May 01, 2010 2:05 am

so if I was to buy that from you I wouldn't need to buy anything else? If thats the case I'l certainly bare it in mind, especially with that gearbox. I was after a 1.8 preferably for the extra torques but I am aware of the ridiculous cost of petrol at the mo...
Back to top Go down
JaMiE
woldskool crew
JaMiE

Number of posts : 840
Registration date : 2007-08-04

PostSubject: Re: engine swap question   engine swap question EmptySat May 01, 2010 7:57 am

ya you'll need new drive shafts i think mate and i thought subframes were different between the big blockas and small blocks, iv got all the shizz for a conversion off mine but just need a new golf to put it in... along wit the tompstones i just bought for it and the bbs's lmao,
Back to top Go down
adi
woldskool crew

PostSubject: Re: engine swap question   engine swap question EmptyMon May 03, 2010 7:48 am

I was always under the impression the subframe was different from the 1.3s too. I'm in no rush for an engine now as I really wanna get it resprayed before the summers over so I'm concentrating on getting it mint and theres nothing really wrong with the engine other than it burning oil
Back to top Go down
swainymk2
woldskool crew
swainymk2

Number of posts : 329
Registration date : 2007-12-30

PostSubject: Re: engine swap question   engine swap question EmptyMon May 03, 2010 9:07 am

nah subframes arent different on the 1.3 16s n 1.8 carb only the gti ones are cus they have the anti roll bars
Back to top Go down
jackovw
woldskool crew
jackovw

PostSubject: Re: engine swap question   engine swap question EmptyMon May 03, 2010 3:13 pm

I didn't think the GTi subframe is any different - the brackets for the anti rollbar are already there on the back - just needs the clamps - or they are on the spare 1600 subframe I've got.....
TBH I would go looking for a Mk3 1400 lump and stick the 1300 carb and bits on it - would keep the cheaper tax (under 1500cc - its over £200 for 12 months otherwise) and it would give nearly as much power as a 1600.
The other issue with doing a 1600 or 1800 transplant is the wiring - the fuse boxes and looms are different on later cars (89 on I think) so you would need all the bits off an early car.
One thing I have always been told is not to build a car you can buy - although that does remove the challenge a bit sometimes....
Back to top Go down
adi
woldskool crew

PostSubject: Re: engine swap question   engine swap question EmptyTue May 04, 2010 10:48 am

hmmm I wasn't aware the fuse boxes were different, that makes me want a donor car even more, so at least I know I have everything. Never thought about the 1.4 route, had a 1.4 mk3 once, and I hated it cuz it was so damn slow, even slower than my mk3 is now. But then again I could have just been unlucky n had a ragged one...
Back to top Go down
jackovw
woldskool crew
jackovw

PostSubject: Re: engine swap question   engine swap question EmptyThu May 06, 2010 2:45 pm

Its not just the fuse box, the entire wiring loom is different as well ....if you can find a donor that is similar age to yours then it should be quite easy, the engine bay wiring loom will swap straight over - plug and play!
The trouble with Mk3 is that they are about 300kg heavier than Mk2 so making the low powered ones even slower!!
Back to top Go down
Crowson_punk
woldskool crew

Number of posts : 604

PostSubject: Re: engine swap question   engine swap question EmptyMon May 17, 2010 4:28 pm

I would go polo gt engine on your inlet manifold and carb.

Thats the usual mk1 small block swap and gives quite a boost in "go" easliy up to 1.6 big block (due to the small block's crossflow cylinder head design.)

gt head has hotter cam and bigger valves. plus you can buy performance cams for it too.

Polo3 or club polo is usally good for advice.

Jon.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: engine swap question   engine swap question Empty

Back to top Go down

engine swap question
Page 1 of 1