VwWold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
VwWold

lincolnshire V.A.G enthusiast's

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

refitting gearbox advice

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
adi
woldskool crew

Number of posts : 1795
Registration date : 2007-11-04

refitting gearbox advice Empty
PostSubject: refitting gearbox advice   refitting gearbox advice EmptySun Feb 06, 2011 3:58 am

Well yesterday I had a disaster of a day removing my gearbox, ruined my back (I have no crane), and today I've GOT to get the other gearbox in. Any tips on doing this? I'l be dropping the front of the car as low as possible and lifting it in, but as you may no getting the driveshaft flange up and over the flywheel and getting the 90degree mount in the right place is awkward. And to make matter worse the short driveshaft is still attached as the bolts have all rounded off and are on solid (which in a way is a good thing as the last one came off and ruined the threads on the flange, hence swapping boxes over).

Any tips on doing this would be greatly appreciated as I don't fancy destroying my back even more getting this gearbox on. I honestly don't know how I did it last time!
Back to top Go down
smiggy
Original Woldskool Crew
Original Woldskool Crew
smiggy

Number of posts : 2384
Registration date : 2007-08-06

PostSubject: Re: refitting gearbox advice   refitting gearbox advice EmptySun Feb 06, 2011 4:06 am

Is there no-one you can borrow a lift off for a couple of days? I have found 2 people and a lift makes things a Lot easier.
Back to top Go down
adi
woldskool crew

PostSubject: Re: refitting gearbox advice   refitting gearbox advice EmptySun Feb 06, 2011 4:08 am

Not really, and it has to be finished today. mk2 gearboxes are heavy enough but having a shaft still attached doesn't really help the weight issue. Tried jacking it up on the trolley jack and thats preyy much impossible seeing as you have to manouvre the flange around the flywheel and get the bracket over the mount without destroying the chassis leg and brake pipe..
Back to top Go down
swainymk2
woldskool crew
swainymk2

Number of posts : 329
Registration date : 2007-12-30

PostSubject: Re: refitting gearbox advice   refitting gearbox advice EmptySun Feb 06, 2011 9:45 am

Last time i swapped a box on a mk2 on me tod found it so much easier going from the bottom, get the car as high as you can slide underneath with the box sat on your chest and he-man it into place, think ur gonna struggle alot with the shaft still on though maybe better tryin harder to get the bolts out and get the shaft off.
Back to top Go down
smiggy
Original Woldskool Crew
Original Woldskool Crew
smiggy

Number of posts : 2384
Registration date : 2007-08-06

PostSubject: Re: refitting gearbox advice   refitting gearbox advice EmptySun Feb 06, 2011 9:53 am

would be better off long term to get the bolts off too, i would of thought..
Back to top Go down
adi
woldskool crew

PostSubject: Re: refitting gearbox advice   refitting gearbox advice EmptySun Feb 06, 2011 11:13 am

It was an absolute TWAT to get on with that N/S shaft on, but after some swearing and pain its finally on and working. No more second gear crunch, but the car doesn't seem to go as well now, are the ratios much different on a 4+E to a 8v gti box? I thought it was just 5th that was longer?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: refitting gearbox advice   refitting gearbox advice Empty

Back to top Go down

refitting gearbox advice
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
VwWold :: Technical advice section-
Jump to: