VwWold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
VwWold

lincolnshire V.A.G enthusiast's

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Mk1 cabriolet..

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
dinx
fresh meat!

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2007-11-26

Mk1 cabriolet.. Empty
PostSubject: Mk1 cabriolet..   Mk1 cabriolet.. EmptyTue Nov 27, 2007 12:50 pm

Ok..Gaz told me to slam some pics up and what not so here goes..

Mk1 cab..first aquired in March 2003, low mileage, slight tear in the vinyl (yes vinyl ergh) roof...knew nothing at all about golfs/the dub scene (hence joining the forum) and know even less now..
Anyhoo...What she first looked like when bought..
Mk1 cabriolet.. Th068f2c47

She was affectionally labelled as the 4x4 cab by certain forum members..
Mk1 cabriolet.. Unloweredfullcar
Mk1 cabriolet.. Unloweredwheel
unlowered

Mk1 cabriolet.. Loweredfullcar1
Mk1 cabriolet.. Wheelloweredback
lowered

As you can see..she came with 17" lensos that gave me arms like popeye whenever I tried to drive her, parking was just a no no..
When I first got her, done a full service and used as a daily driver..
In winter was a total pain in the @rse as my windscreen would take about six year to actually defrost..
I also..seeing the state of the drums n calipers..got the wire brush and paint out at this time..so not a good idea.. :grin:

Just some random pics of her..
Mk1 cabriolet.. 17
Mk1 cabriolet.. 22
Mk1 cabriolet.. 23

One horrible day at work...she was broken into, front drivers window smashed and cd player taken...this is when I started thinking about not using the cab as a daily, just seemed like a lot of hassle..also, being part of the forum, I got the modifying bug following changing the suspension and front indicators and side repeators..
God this is hard work remembering all of this!

Oct 2005...had a bump, went into the back of someone, loads of dodgy insurance stuff, and cab was off the road..
Yup..I got public transport for at least four month! :shocked:
When I first bought her, the bonnet looked like it had been resprayed, badly, so when I had this bump, thought now is the time to get her completly done..
She needed a new slam and front bumper..
I also bought some full crystal rear lights...never went on the car as they look gash..and started this topic..
http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=25404.0

So...respray pics..
Mk1 cabriolet.. ThDianesCar3
Mk1 cabriolet.. ThDianesCar2
Mk1 cabriolet.. ThDianesCar1
Mk1 cabriolet.. Thd3260805
Mk1 cabriolet.. Thd2260805
Mk1 cabriolet.. Thd126805
Mk1 cabriolet.. ThCaptured2005-8-2700009
Mk1 cabriolet.. ThCaptured2005-8-2700008
Mk1 cabriolet.. ThCaptured2005-8-2700007
Mk1 cabriolet.. ThCaptured2005-8-2700006
Back to top Go down
dinx
fresh meat!

Mk1 cabriolet.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mk1 cabriolet..   Mk1 cabriolet.. EmptyTue Nov 27, 2007 12:51 pm

I also decided to go for a single light grille when replacing it..just looked meaner..
Pics after..

Mk1 cabriolet.. ThCaptured2005-8-2700012
Mk1 cabriolet.. ThCaptured2005-8-2700011
Mk1 cabriolet.. ThCaptured2005-8-2700010 - free plug..not that he needs the work
Mk1 cabriolet.. ThCaptured2005-8-2700004
Mk1 cabriolet.. ThCaptured2005-8-2700003
Mk1 cabriolet.. ThCaptured2005-8-2700001
Mk1 cabriolet.. ThCaptured2005-8-2700000
^as you can see..shields as sunny as ever.. :huh:
Mk1 cabriolet.. 110A
Mk1 cabriolet.. 105A
Mk1 cabriolet.. DSCF0113
Mk1 cabriolet.. DSCF0112
Mk1 cabriolet.. DSCF0108
Mk1 cabriolet.. DSCF0107
Mk1 cabriolet.. DSCF0104
Mk1 cabriolet.. 11A - her @rse looks phat 🆒
Mk1 cabriolet.. 109A
Mk1 cabriolet.. DSCF0114
^me trying to do arty pics and soooo failing.. Cool

Then..as you can see in that pic..ssooooooooo needed a new exhaust..
along came the powerflow, full system, single 3" tail pipe 🆒

Right..I have no close up's of the powerflow..but you can kinda see it in this pic..
Mk1 cabriolet.. DSC00503 just squint.. :laugh:
With the cab being a 92 and an import..she has one of these..
Mk1 cabriolet.. Photo-0052
I kept it on when i got the exhaust simply because the guy mentioned something about the pipes getting hotter if you took it off etc, which just confuzzled me, but its now going to get chopped off and replaced with some pipe as I've been told it will go faster.. 😁

So after the exhaust came the mohair.. blue mohair to be precise 🆒
This cost £450 fitted at my door, because I couldn't be @rsed to drop her off anywhere..
and as you can see from previous photos, she looks much better..

After about a month or so after having the roof, some little sh!t ripped my roof..
I was devastated to say the least..plus another £450 out of pocket..but that was just the start..
When the guy came to put another new roof on, he took a deep scratch out of my paintwork Crying or Very sad my hood was and still is, saggy so I wasn't a happy chappy..
I got quoted just under 100 quid for to repair the scratch and the most the company (carhoodnorthern) paid out were £50 and then I had to chase and chase..[glow=red,2,300]deffo do not reccomend these guys..[/glow]
Mk1 cabriolet.. DSC00008
^saggy bit..
Back to top Go down
dinx
fresh meat!

Mk1 cabriolet.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mk1 cabriolet..   Mk1 cabriolet.. EmptyTue Nov 27, 2007 12:52 pm

Next..came the wheels.. 🆒 afro
Now I got ribbed about my wheels from day one of being on this forum..the car came with 17s and tbh, i didn think they looked too bad..
However...i wanted some new shoes..so i got them..
being the worst person in the world to make a decision..i think i asked nearly everyone their opionion, started a thread,mulled for about three month and, because i was getting nagged about getting my @rsed to bugjam2006, I decied on the Zenders..
Mk1 cabriolet.. Mywheels
Bought these from a guy on the forum - mad4bbs..this is how it all happened..
Seen the wheels on the monday - phoned Joe "what you think?" "yeah cool, ask Jv" ok..
"john what you think of the zenders" "yeah will suit cab and its age, get them!" ok..
I then had to sort out the money as I need these wheels for the friday in the same week :undecided: ..so gets money and gives it to my friend to send via paypal, she pays it into her bank, then her paypal wont let her send more than £200 gggrrr!!! so gets the money back out and puts it directly into mad4bbs account, this guy is a star btw - nice lad and totally knows his wheels and very helpful! so he said, "right as soon as ive got it, ill courier wheels" got money sorted by end of monday/tuesday..at this point im looking for tyres..so gets the wheels on the weds, arranges for some mobile tyre fitters to come to my house on the thurs 4 brand new yokos, but im currently considering changing these.. :undecided: ..he gets there, has a sexwee over the wheels/car also (which made me extremley happy) and then he has trouble with the nuts/hubs and im like huh?! he said, they have threaded! FFFSSSSS!!! =- so anyway, he manages to get the wheels on safely (so i think) and thats it..all set for bugjam on the friday! woo-hoo! afro
so my MOT was due/booked whilst i was at bugjam, went to a friends garage..gets there and he said, i cant believe you have driven all these miles with like one or two nuts in each wheel GULP! I didnt know that..
So he and the bloke end up re-threaded my back hubs so i can get home.. but hey, bugjam was a cracking laugh never the less afro 😁

Mk1 cabriolet.. DSC00274
Mk1 cabriolet.. DSC00272

Since then, we have changed the rear hubs for shiney new ones 😃 and proper vag nuts
and the rear shockers from oil (totally f*cked tbqfh) to gas and have the fronts to do when we get round to it..and obviously the legs were all cleaned up and painted hammerite black..
can't believe the difference in handling since just changing the rear! afro

Now..the cab is currently off the road..
I have a few issues with her that I want sorting once and for all..
One of these being her electrics, i want these all ripping out and starting from new..
With this being a 2H engined car, I'm lucky that the bloke knew someone else with the same engine or else who knows what would have happened as he looked at a few different cars looms and none matched up :huh: :sad: so now were armed with a manual, this will be getting done in the warmer months and to be honest with you, i am not looking forward to it one bit! Anyone who loves electrics/ wants to come help, you are more than welcome! I would supply beer and food! And im quite a good cook! 😁

The cab was last waxoyl'd about two yrs ago (my bad) so she is currently getting stripped, the rust taken off her - Im super pleased to say she is NOT a rustbucket and all her panels will be hammerited and waxoyld twice..
as soon as photobucket stops being a tw@t, i shall show pics 😃

Mk1 cabriolet.. Photo-0043
^top right hand corner and in the arch is muck not rust
😃
Mk1 cabriolet.. Photo-0044
Mk1 cabriolet.. Photo-0045
Mk1 cabriolet.. Photo-0046
Mk1 cabriolet.. Photo-0048
^thats one of my worst bits :sad:
Mk1 cabriolet.. Photo-0049
Mk1 cabriolet.. Photo-0050
Mk1 cabriolet.. Photo-0054
Mk1 cabriolet.. Photo-0053
Engine pic...
Mk1 cabriolet.. Photo-0047

As mentioned, all the rust is being taken down, hammerited and waxoyld twice..
The wing ive taken off, has been hammerited on the inside in blue hammerite, doubled coated in the various places that are known to rust on mark ones, with hammerite again..and the same process again with waxoyl.. 😃

Oh and my underneath is just as rust-free..still had the original factory waxoyl on.. It gives you a major chuffness wen there isn't rust..as sad as that sounds :embarassed:

Plans for next year are..

scratch and stone chips painted
Clutch
gearbox (possibly changing to a diesel)
changing ecu
possibly - kent cam and vernier puley
headgasket and cambelt - the engine is actually coming out of the car so the bay can be tidyied up a tad and painted and waxoyld..then i want some shiney bits, not ott though, just make it look cleaner
Oh..and i fancy one of them miracle bath things after seeing Rhyso's!

Still comtemplating changing the interior but not sure whether to go leather or not.. :undecided:
Also may go for chrome side strips and not sure which lights to go for, all clear or smoked?!?!?!?

This car is acually low mileage so im hoping to keep her like that and just continuely look after her, including waxolying and service about every 3k 😃 thats including dropping the oil 😃

And then once all of this is done..I'll still find something else! 😁
or maybs another project...wouldn't mind a track car.. Evil or Very Mad

not much happening whilst its cold so will update as and when!
Wish me luck with the electrics!

Will update as and wen people...but being a tad skint and lazy aint helping at the mo! Laughing
Back to top Go down
wayneyb
woldskool crew
wayneyb

Number of posts : 2300
Registration date : 2007-08-04

Mk1 cabriolet.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mk1 cabriolet..   Mk1 cabriolet.. EmptyTue Nov 27, 2007 2:06 pm

looking sweet there , at least now i got one i know where to go for help or a drink lol
Back to top Go down
dinx
fresh meat!

Mk1 cabriolet.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mk1 cabriolet..   Mk1 cabriolet.. EmptyTue Nov 27, 2007 2:16 pm

Drink/advice..help where i can darl Cool
Back to top Go down
tom
woldskool crew
tom

Number of posts : 2884
Registration date : 2007-08-05

Mk1 cabriolet.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mk1 cabriolet..   Mk1 cabriolet.. EmptyTue Nov 27, 2007 4:25 pm

Looks sweet that does dinx! Made a good choice with the wheel swap too.
Back to top Go down
dinx
fresh meat!

Mk1 cabriolet.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mk1 cabriolet..   Mk1 cabriolet.. EmptyTue Nov 27, 2007 4:29 pm

Thank you darl..
Yeah..15s give it sooo much better handling..not to mention that i think they look cooler.. but im biased Laughing
Not wanting her too sit too low cos of all the bastid speed humps, before anyone says anything.. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Mk1 cabriolet.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mk1 cabriolet..   Mk1 cabriolet.. Empty

Back to top Go down

Mk1 cabriolet..
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
VwWold :: Project dubz-
Jump to: