VwWold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
VwWold

lincolnshire V.A.G enthusiast's

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

starter motor

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
danny
woldskool crew

Number of posts : 933
Registration date : 2007-08-05

starter motor Empty
PostSubject: starter motor   starter motor EmptyFri Feb 01, 2008 2:58 pm

took the mk3 to get sorted and the lad said that the problem might be a bush inside the gear box which goes on the end of the starter motor. does any one no what its like to fix and what parts will i be needing to get
Back to top Go down
Crowson_punk
woldskool crew

Number of posts : 604
Registration date : 2007-08-07

starter motor Empty
PostSubject: Re: starter motor   starter motor EmptySat Feb 02, 2008 12:10 am

I would say it's a gearbag out job. Take the starter out and have a look first. Thats only held in by 2 bolts and it's on the front of the case so easy to get to. I think there 6mm allen head screws iirc.

You should the be able to stick fingers into the starter hole and feel the bush, although I don't think i've ever heard of one wearing out. Whats the problem? if the starters sticking it's the solenoid, and that can be stripped out, cleaned and greased!

if you need a hand i'm only in coningsby so can take a look. or you can bring it to mine and i'll have a look!

Jon.
Back to top Go down
danny
woldskool crew

starter motor Empty
PostSubject: Re: starter motor   starter motor EmptySat Feb 02, 2008 4:34 am

well its abit hard to explain but when you start it up it makes a realy loud lineing noise sounds line a jumbo jet starting up. i will let you no when it gets bk from being sprayed.dont mind i could come to you or if your passing threw then.
Back to top Go down
Crowson_punk
woldskool crew

Number of posts : 604
Registration date : 2007-08-07

starter motor Empty
PostSubject: Re: starter motor   starter motor EmptySun Feb 03, 2008 5:39 am

sounds to me like the stater solenoid is sticking and leaving the starter engaged! take a hammer with you and twat the solenoid like the pic on chimp's "methrat" thread shows. If you don't do that when it's whining, you could burn the starter out, which could very likely cause an engine fire!!!! I have seen the mess this makes and it isn't fun!

I'm free every day next week bar tuesday, i'll pm you my mob and we can work sumthing out!!!

have my drive free now i've scrapped me uno so it would prob be easier to do it at mine!

Jon.
Back to top Go down
danny
woldskool crew

starter motor Empty
PostSubject: Re: starter motor   starter motor EmptySun Feb 03, 2008 6:16 am

yer i will have a go at the old hammer trick to see if that cures it. if you could pm me your mob if it doesnt work i will give you a ring
Back to top Go down
tom
woldskool crew
tom

Number of posts : 2884

starter motor Empty
PostSubject: Re: starter motor   starter motor EmptySun Feb 03, 2008 9:56 am

It in doubt, smash the sh*t outta it!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

starter motor Empty