VwWold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
VwWold

lincolnshire V.A.G enthusiast's

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

polishing

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
danny
woldskool crew

Number of posts : 933
Registration date : 2007-08-05

polishing Empty
PostSubject: polishing   polishing EmptySat Feb 02, 2008 6:28 am

i am hoping to have a go at it. but im not sure how to do it if any one has got any pointer would be realy great full not going to do it to make money or owt just want a go to see what sort of thing i can do wouldnt mind doing a rocker cover. so can any one help pls.
Back to top Go down
bonezbusta
The Management
bonezbusta

Number of posts : 5944
Registration date : 2007-08-14

polishing Empty
PostSubject: Re: polishing   polishing EmptySat Feb 02, 2008 8:07 am

i can help u mate,but tbh its a ball ache to do!! first off u need all the kit,mops,compound's etc etc. then u need allsorts of different grades of sandpaper,medium to very fine grade,then its a case of trying to get a dull finish with the sanding then hit it with the polishing kit! thats a rough guide to it bud,im not gonna give up any of my major secrets tho as im doing it as a business and if i tell u all how its done i wont get any work! but be prepared for some long hours! Wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.vwwold.co.uk
danny
woldskool crew

polishing Empty
PostSubject: Re: polishing   polishing EmptySat Feb 02, 2008 8:29 am

cheers for that mate iv seen a few kits on ebay. wouldnt want you letting your secrets out now Laughing. only going to do it to see if im any good gonna get a rocker cover to start on . do you no where i can get a polishing kit from mops, compounds. act
Back to top Go down
danny
woldskool crew

polishing Empty
PostSubject: Re: polishing   polishing EmptySat Feb 02, 2008 8:49 am

Back to top Go down
bonezbusta
The Management
bonezbusta

Number of posts : 5944
Registration date : 2007-08-14

polishing Empty
PostSubject: Re: polishing   polishing EmptySat Feb 02, 2008 9:14 am

they are ok,value for money,i only found out the other day but jewsons can get u kits n compounds etc,usually 2 days to wait for em,which aint too bad! Wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.vwwold.co.uk
danny
woldskool crew

polishing Empty
PostSubject: Re: polishing   polishing EmptySat Feb 02, 2008 9:55 am

where is jewsons. need to get a kit to start practising wont be owt good to start with
Back to top Go down
smiggy
Original Woldskool Crew
Original Woldskool Crew
smiggy

Number of posts : 2384
Registration date : 2007-08-06

polishing Empty
PostSubject: Re: polishing   polishing EmptySat Feb 02, 2008 12:16 pm

Sure there is one in Horncastle, Danny. Rekon as u head out towards lincoln, turn left as if ya goin woodhall n it on the left after the lights. Jewsons are all over the place though, Spilsby is about the best branch though. I am a joiner so use them all the time.
Back to top Go down
danny
woldskool crew

polishing Empty
PostSubject: Re: polishing   polishing EmptySat Feb 02, 2008 12:29 pm

not sure mate will haft to go investigate. going to buy a kit from there or ebay i think have a go at it probs be aload of crap to start with but sure it will get better
Back to top Go down
Crowson_punk
woldskool crew

Number of posts : 604
Registration date : 2007-08-07

polishing Empty
PostSubject: Re: polishing   polishing EmptyMon Feb 04, 2008 8:04 am

i get a fantasticly bright finish on bike parts using only wire wool and t-cut lol

i find giving the item a grub scrub wi wool takes all the oxides off. from there you go at it with the polishing mops.

remember if it's steel your polishing it'll need a coat of laquer to stop it rusting. The same really goes for polishing aluminium, as it oxidizes sumthing chronic. ali is fairly easy to polish, and doesn't take too long to get a good shine, but steel can take an age depending on what type it is! some types of stainless can be buggers to do!!!ironically the harder s/s is to polish, the less it corrodes, so it's a bit of a trade off.

oh, and make sure whatever mild steel you polish isn't chromed, else you'll end up with bare metal instead!!! if in doubt give it a rub with sum t-cut. if it shines up quickly and brightly then it's safe to say it's chrome!!!

Jon.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

polishing Empty
PostSubject: Re: polishing   polishing Empty

Back to top Go down

polishing
Page 1 of 1