VwWold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
VwWold

lincolnshire V.A.G enthusiast's

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Mk2 Polo Banded Steels

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
volksangyl
VWWold'skooler!
volksangyl

Number of posts : 112
Registration date : 2010-07-15

Mk2 Polo Banded Steels Empty
PostSubject: Mk2 Polo Banded Steels   Mk2 Polo Banded Steels EmptyTue Aug 10, 2010 7:01 pm

I don't want:
camber
stretched tyres
poke
flared/rolled arches

So what's the maximum I can band stock Mk2 'star' steels?

I want to keep the banded wheels tucked in the stock bodywork. I know this is going to limit me on the back since there's not much space without modification, but even an extra 1" width would help with the pram-like handling and wheels currently on.

I've got a few names for where to go to get them done, just need to figure out the size so I can figure out the cost.
Back to top Go down
Crowson_punk
woldskool crew

Number of posts : 604
Registration date : 2007-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Mk2 Polo Banded Steels   Mk2 Polo Banded Steels EmptySun Aug 22, 2010 4:38 am

what size are they now? i'd guess 13x5.5? thats what my seat 13's are?

I would say you could go up a couple of sizes. on 13's you should be able to get 7's in ok.

I had 15x6.5 on my mk3 and they were fine at the back, but touched the inner wing a little on the front. which was fine as i just gently bent the offending piece to the side by hand.

Tyre wise, you'll need to drop a size to get straight sidewalls, i.e if they should have 195/55/13 I would go for 185 or 175 depending. they wont look stretched and wont roll so hard in the corners. Will give you a bit more clearance on the outer arch lips.

Best bet is to put the wheels on and measure how far from the arch lip they are, then that tells you the max you can go out. Remember the offset too, as most banded wheels only add to the outside of a wheel which pushes the offset away from the et38 it should have.

I would tap the lips over in the back before you paint. Theres no reason not too and if done slowly and gently you'll gain about half an inch lmao

How are you lowering it? if it's just springs it'll always rub and may well bottom out and wreck the rears.

Make sure you get a set of matched shortened and uprated dampers along with the springs.

Jon.
Back to top Go down
JaMiE
woldskool crew
JaMiE

Number of posts : 840
Registration date : 2007-08-04

PostSubject: Re: Mk2 Polo Banded Steels   Mk2 Polo Banded Steels EmptySun Aug 22, 2010 4:44 am

if your not wanting to go that wide id recomend just goin for golf gti 14 inch steels theyll b like an inch wider and if u run um on 195/45/14s it'll fit nicely even on a 80 drop all round, it'll work out alot cheaper than gettin um banded as tht'll run run you a few hundred quid, or get a set of gt steels of a mk3 polo gt they got a bit more dish than snadard polo rims and i think my bro might hav a set for sale
Back to top Go down
volksangyl
VWWold'skooler!
volksangyl

Number of posts : 112
Registration date : 2010-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Mk2 Polo Banded Steels   Mk2 Polo Banded Steels EmptySun Aug 22, 2010 12:26 pm

Yeah, but then I lose the 5 pointed star design of the standard steels, which i really want to keep. I know it's a picky thing, but because of that banding seems to be the sensible option.
Back to top Go down
adi
woldskool crew

Number of posts : 1795
Registration date : 2007-11-04

PostSubject: Re: Mk2 Polo Banded Steels   Mk2 Polo Banded Steels EmptyMon Aug 30, 2010 3:24 am

seems an overly expensive option as your wanting them banded but not for the exact reasons people have them done, like jamie said most cost effective option is to get some wider standard golf steels, mk2 polo arches (especially the rear, and if your lowered) don't leave a great deal of room for wideness
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mk2 Polo Banded Steels   Mk2 Polo Banded Steels Empty

Back to top Go down

Mk2 Polo Banded Steels
Page 1 of 1