VwWold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
VwWold

lincolnshire V.A.G enthusiast's

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Mk 2 8v upgrade

Go down 
+3
stoker
bonezbusta
Dubloon
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Dubloon
woldskool crew
Dubloon

Number of posts : 157
Registration date : 2007-08-11

Mk 2 8v upgrade Empty
PostSubject: Mk 2 8v upgrade   Mk 2 8v upgrade EmptyThu Nov 15, 2007 2:25 am

Just picked up a 2e bottom end and dizzy from a written off Passat with FVWSH at 43,978. Its in A1 condition so I'm goint to wack it in my Mk2. What i plan to do is build a complete new engine and gearbox on a painted sub frame and just do a straight swap. As far as I can see the 2e dizzy should be fine but I think I need a spacer for the exhaust downpipe due to the taller block?? Got a recon head coming this weekend that i will get P&P, also planning on doing CV boots,engine mounts, new wishbones and polybushes while the engines out.

Any ideas on ideal choice of gearbox? Mk3 TDi seems to be the popular choice? If so will it be a simple swap onto my MK2 linkage?

This aint going to be a quick job as the most technical job I've ever done on a motor is change my heater matrix Embarassed Smile

Please jump in at any point and give me a few ideas, I'll need it Wink
Back to top Go down
bonezbusta
The Management
bonezbusta

Number of posts : 5944
Registration date : 2007-08-14

Mk 2 8v upgrade Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mk 2 8v upgrade   Mk 2 8v upgrade EmptyThu Nov 15, 2007 2:59 am

im not technically minded or owt but aint the heater matrix a proper ballache of a job? if so the engine swap will be a doddle! Wink good luck with it,wish i had the balls to do stuff like that,i can take em to bits but putting them back together is a different story!What a Face
Back to top Go down
http://www.vwwold.co.uk
Dubloon
woldskool crew
Dubloon

Mk 2 8v upgrade Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mk 2 8v upgrade   Mk 2 8v upgrade EmptyThu Nov 15, 2007 3:38 am

O.G wrote:
im not technically minded or owt but aint the heater matrix a proper ballache of a job? if so the engine swap will be a doddle! Wink good luck with it,wish i had the balls to do stuff like that,i can take em to bits but putting them back together is a different story!What a Face

The matrix was fiddly mate but I wouldn't say it was difficult and I'm a mechanical moron Laughing

Trouble with me is, I start one job and cant bare to put things back that aren't mint so I can see things snowballing until I have vertually rebuilt the car.

Still, it will be good practice for when I drop an R32 in a MK1 affraid Laughing
Back to top Go down
stoker
woldskool crew
stoker

Number of posts : 523
Registration date : 2007-08-06

Mk 2 8v upgrade Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mk 2 8v upgrade   Mk 2 8v upgrade EmptyThu Nov 15, 2007 7:49 am

You could always use your existing box and wheres the photos or your car lets have a butchers
Back to top Go down
Dubloon
woldskool crew
Dubloon

Mk 2 8v upgrade Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mk 2 8v upgrade   Mk 2 8v upgrade EmptyThu Nov 15, 2007 8:09 am

stoker wrote:
You could always use your existing box and wheres the photos or your car lets have a butchers

I could mate but I'd really like to make sure everything that goes back is in good nick. I'd like to have it all built ready to go in beforehand. My existing box is fine, never makes a sound but would like to put something in that will take any extra grunt I might add later. I suppose its really the clutch that takes most of the hammer anyway?

Trouble is its dark when I go to work and dark when I get home so hard to get decent pics. Got a few on my phone that might do til the weekend.

Shall I just sell it and buy a 16v. Laughing
Back to top Go down
gazwold
fresh meat!

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2007-08-13

Mk 2 8v upgrade Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mk 2 8v upgrade   Mk 2 8v upgrade EmptyThu Nov 15, 2007 2:18 pm

hi mate did the same on mine with a 2E out of a vento as for the spacer for the downpipe i didnt need one but i have heard of a few guy that have, i used athe original 8v gearbox but with a 16v sachs racing clutch and it works really well, any problems give me a shout but tbh its a real easy conversion.

Are you using the mk2 head? as they flow gases far better than the mk3 head.

any probs give me a shout.

Gaz
Back to top Go down
Dubloon
woldskool crew
Dubloon

Mk 2 8v upgrade Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mk 2 8v upgrade   Mk 2 8v upgrade EmptyThu Nov 15, 2007 3:08 pm

[quote="gazwold"]hi mate did the same on mine with a 2E out of a vento as for the spacer for the downpipe i didnt need one but i have heard of a few guy that have, i used athe original 8v gearbox but with a 16v sachs racing clutch and it works really well, any problems give me a shout but tbh its a real easy conversion.

Are you using the mk2 head? as they flow gases far better than the mk3 head.

any probs give me a shout.

Gaz[/quot
Thanks Gaz, it might be easy for you experts but its a bit daunting first time around.

Probably will use an 8v gearbox and like you say upgrade the clutch. I'm picking up a recon head at the weekend and hopefully flowing it or getting it flowed.

Will all the ancilliaries be the same? Can I use either, say MK3 alternator, oil pump, water pump? Some are probably the same part as MK2 anyway.

Thanks again Gaz

Shaun
Back to top Go down
BEESE
Original Woldskool Crew
Original Woldskool Crew
BEESE

Number of posts : 1678
Registration date : 2007-08-05

Mk 2 8v upgrade Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mk 2 8v upgrade   Mk 2 8v upgrade EmptyThu Nov 15, 2007 3:58 pm

if i were you , and i had a good mk2 gearbox, id defo re-use it rather than fittin a mk3 box, the old mechanical linkage boxes are a lot easier to drive than the later cable change ones, i think nine times out of ten , people only upgrade them cos theyre fed up of the mk2 box crunchin (like most of them do) but if yours dont, use it!

also i know from experience that a 16v clutch will NOT fit an 8v box.
Back to top Go down
gazwold
fresh meat!

Mk 2 8v upgrade Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mk 2 8v upgrade   Mk 2 8v upgrade EmptyThu Nov 15, 2007 5:58 pm

i used the mk3 altinator oil pump and everything else but had to play with the wiring to the alternator as they are slightly different from the mk2 item,

also i had to mod my power steering pump pulley by using 2 nuts on each bolt as spacers to bring the pulley out a little,

Im sure the clutch was a mk2 16v sach clutch but i will check when i get back in from work as breese says he doesnt think it will fit and im wondering now so will let you know.

Gaz
Back to top Go down
jackovw
woldskool crew
jackovw

Number of posts : 526
Registration date : 2007-08-07

Mk 2 8v upgrade Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mk 2 8v upgrade   Mk 2 8v upgrade EmptySat Nov 17, 2007 6:27 am

Mk2 16v clutch plate (the bit with the splines on it) is different to an 8v one (16v boxes have a larger diameter main shaft). If poss use the 16v other bits with 8v plate - the 16v spring is stronger due to the higher power of 16v.

TBH I would stick with the 8v box - prob'ly best set of ratios for daily use.

Jacko
Back to top Go down
gazwold
fresh meat!

Mk 2 8v upgrade Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mk 2 8v upgrade   Mk 2 8v upgrade EmptySun Nov 18, 2007 8:02 am

looked at my reciepts and its doesnt say 16v or 8v and just says sachs racing clutch so by the sounds of things it will be a 8v one as i didnt mismatch parts there
Back to top Go down
Dubloon
woldskool crew
Dubloon

Mk 2 8v upgrade Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mk 2 8v upgrade   Mk 2 8v upgrade EmptyThu Nov 29, 2007 2:08 pm

Opinions Guys and Gals??

Got chance of a full 2.0l 16v engine, box and everything needed to convert my Mk2. The engine and box are fully reconed and look mint.

Do I go for it or stick with the 2e and maybe a BVH? Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
stoker
woldskool crew
stoker

Mk 2 8v upgrade Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mk 2 8v upgrade   Mk 2 8v upgrade EmptyThu Nov 29, 2007 3:08 pm

if you dont want the 16v motor i might be interested
Back to top Go down
tom
woldskool crew
tom

Number of posts : 2884

Mk 2 8v upgrade Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mk 2 8v upgrade   Mk 2 8v upgrade EmptyThu Nov 29, 2007 3:47 pm

If everything is there and the price is right go for it mate!
Back to top Go down
Dubloon
woldskool crew
Dubloon

Mk 2 8v upgrade Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mk 2 8v upgrade   Mk 2 8v upgrade EmptyThu Nov 29, 2007 4:00 pm

tom wrote:
If everything is there and the price is right go for it mate!

Its all there, and some Wink

Only tricky thing is the fact that I'm going from Digi to K-jet. As far as I can see I only need to change the fuel pump and loom which I'm told is plug and play (ish).

I just dont want to wish I had later on. It means the difference between a possible 140BHP and 170BHP.

Or am I just being greedy Laughing
Back to top Go down
Dubloon
woldskool crew
Dubloon

Mk 2 8v upgrade Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mk 2 8v upgrade   Mk 2 8v upgrade EmptyThu Nov 29, 2007 4:03 pm

Its from a mate who is taking it out of his Mk2 and doing a turbo upgrade.

He wants £450 for the lot, is that reasonable? Its had a full rebuild from the bottom up.
Back to top Go down
tom
woldskool crew
tom

Number of posts : 2884

Mk 2 8v upgrade Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mk 2 8v upgrade   Mk 2 8v upgrade EmptyThu Nov 29, 2007 4:11 pm

If its been built right and ran in and looked after id say yes especially if some of the bit have been upgraded ie cams or lightened and balenced rods, crank flywheel etc
Back to top Go down
Dubloon
woldskool crew
Dubloon

Mk 2 8v upgrade Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mk 2 8v upgrade   Mk 2 8v upgrade EmptyFri Nov 30, 2007 1:53 am

Dont know what the feck to do now.

I've got all the bits for the 2.0l conversion which would be the easy option but the 2.ol 16v sounds like mucho fun!!

Didn't think this Dub lark would be so complicated Laughing

Another option would be to do the 2.0l on mine, sell it then buy a valver and drop this engine in that??

fook it I'm off to buy a Fiesta affraid (NOT)
Back to top Go down
Dubloon
woldskool crew
Dubloon

Mk 2 8v upgrade Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mk 2 8v upgrade   Mk 2 8v upgrade EmptyThu Dec 06, 2007 8:24 am

Well I finally made up my mind (like it was much of a decision Rolling Eyes ). The 9a is on its way to me, got the 16v fuel setup ready to go in so its all systems go. Just got to wait for the sh*t weather to break and the 8v engine's coming oot.

Pics and progress to follow.
Back to top Go down
Dubloon
woldskool crew
Dubloon

Mk 2 8v upgrade Empty
PostSubject: Progress update.   Mk 2 8v upgrade EmptyWed May 14, 2008 12:36 pm

There aint any Laughing

Only done a few cosmetic bits so far. Mainly because I'm enjoying driving it too much to have it off the road and the other reason is I've not had the balls to start taking the engine out Embarassed Still got the 9a and gearbox on a pallet waiting and a fully labelled engine loom so it WILL happen soon.
Back to top Go down
stoker
woldskool crew
stoker

Mk 2 8v upgrade Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mk 2 8v upgrade   Mk 2 8v upgrade EmptyThu May 15, 2008 3:04 pm

why dont you leave it that way over summer and then maybe do something over winter cos I wish Id left my blue one in one piece as Ive had to buy another now just to get my fix of Vws
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Mk 2 8v upgrade Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mk 2 8v upgrade   Mk 2 8v upgrade Empty

Back to top Go down

Mk 2 8v upgrade
Page 1 of 1