VwWold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
VwWold

lincolnshire V.A.G enthusiast's

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

car sub advice

Go down 
+4
cotney05
kimmy
bonezbusta
vw_chloe
8 posters
AuthorMessage
vw_chloe
fresh meat!

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2008-06-12

car sub advice Empty
PostSubject: car sub advice   car sub advice EmptyWed Jul 29, 2009 2:14 am

Hiya, been offered a mutant sub and amp for £50? just wondered if this is a good price for that make. Am a novice when it comes to audio. Many Thanks Very Happy
Back to top Go down
bonezbusta
The Management
bonezbusta

Number of posts : 5944
Registration date : 2007-08-14

car sub advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: car sub advice   car sub advice EmptyWed Jul 29, 2009 2:28 am

new in halfords u can get a sub and amp package by mutant for a ton so it depends what it is really. i had one and really liked it for the money,until i tried a bass cd thru it and blew the sub! u can get bargains so not sure if id pay that for it,i got a jbl amp and sub/box for £30 so its all a case of what comes up at the right time. pretty good tho mutants,i had the head unit and amp n sub in my passat and they sounded spot on!
Back to top Go down
http://www.vwwold.co.uk
vw_chloe
fresh meat!

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2008-06-12

car sub advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: car sub advice   car sub advice EmptyWed Jul 29, 2009 2:47 am

thanks for that! its a single 10" sub with 150watts output i think! but I think your right, I could get a better one for less if I just wait for a bit. Thanks for the help! Also will i be able to run my 6+9 aswell as the sub becuase it seems alot going to one headunit? would i need like a 4 channel amp? Embarassed
Back to top Go down
bonezbusta
The Management
bonezbusta

car sub advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: car sub advice   car sub advice EmptyWed Jul 29, 2009 7:22 am

to get the best from a sub and 6x9s u would need to run them off an amp or a couple,1 for the sub and one for the 6x9s. i run all my speakers off my head unit and my sub off the amp,some head units cope quite well but will never give enuff power to the 6x9s to make the most of them. most installs unless,u are going for some serious bass would be fine running the sub off an amp and 6x9s,mids etc off the head unit,just so they are all for the mid range and treble,then max out the sub bass to compensate! it really does depend on how loud u want to go. a 4 channel amp would work but would need to be quite powerful. if i read that right,u defo need an amp to run the sub!
Back to top Go down
kimmy
woldskool crew
kimmy

Number of posts : 202
Registration date : 2009-02-28

car sub advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: car sub advice   car sub advice EmptyWed Jul 29, 2009 10:05 am

If it was me i would run all speakers and sub through a amp, that should keep the head uint a bit cooler, but im no expert in this area lol.
Back to top Go down
bonezbusta
The Management
bonezbusta

car sub advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: car sub advice   car sub advice EmptyWed Jul 29, 2009 10:30 am

nah me neither,just what ive done and it all works lol!
Back to top Go down
cotney05
woldskool crew
cotney05

Number of posts : 2050
Registration date : 2009-03-14

car sub advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: car sub advice   car sub advice EmptyWed Jul 29, 2009 11:33 am

well heres a lil summin for ya i cained a mutant amp in a matter of weeks theyre shi*e plus run ya subs thru ya amp and ya 6xc9s thru ya head unit so the bass dont blow ya 6x9s
Back to top Go down
http://cotney_05@hotmail.com
JaMiE
woldskool crew
JaMiE

Number of posts : 840
Registration date : 2007-08-04

car sub advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: car sub advice   car sub advice EmptyWed Jul 29, 2009 11:34 am

if ya get yourself a decent 4x50 watt rms head unit running some decent component speakers you should have no problem for mids and trebble all round, then if you get a good quality sub and amp kit like vibe or jbl you'll have a quite respectable sound system, and you shouldnt realy have any trouble with the cd player overheating iv had loads of different head units and had most of um up quite loud most of the time and none have ever gone wrong,
wouldnt realy rate mutant kits, had some muntant subs before more than likely the ones you were on about and there a bit sh*te tbh
Back to top Go down
bonezbusta
The Management
bonezbusta

car sub advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: car sub advice   car sub advice EmptyWed Jul 29, 2009 11:44 am

i guess with the mtants its luck of the draw,mine werent too bad,but they are cheap,then i had jbl in my scooby and it was a monster 6 ch 1200w jobby and the sub 1000w yet they sounded crap,but my jbl i have now is good?! weird! go for vibe allday long,for the money they are awesome! Wink my head unit is 4x50 and runs,alpine door speakers,pioneer tweets,jbl original hole fit 6x4s or whatever they are and my head unit is fine,but it is quite a good pioneer so it better be able to handle it! surely i shouldve moved this to tech section by now ! lol!
Back to top Go down
tom
woldskool crew
tom

Number of posts : 2884
Registration date : 2007-08-05

car sub advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: car sub advice   car sub advice EmptyFri Jul 31, 2009 5:40 am

Buy the very best you can afford and you'll end up with some weapons grade sound quality!
Back to top Go down
samdub
VWWold'skooler!
samdub

Number of posts : 121
Registration date : 2009-05-10

car sub advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: car sub advice   car sub advice EmptyFri Jul 31, 2009 9:33 am

cotney05 wrote:
run ya subs thru ya amp and ya 6xc9s thru ya head unit so the bass dont blow ya 6x9s

agree, because you can still run your 6x9's if you remove the amp and sub should you need to. Currently how mine is all wired up too.

Vibe Slick series FTW

car sub advice DSC01854
Back to top Go down
Crowson_punk
woldskool crew

Number of posts : 604
Registration date : 2007-08-07

car sub advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: car sub advice   car sub advice EmptySat Aug 01, 2009 2:48 am

dont get 6x9's! what car is it going in?

if it's a 5 door mk3 up then just upgrade the door speakers,
if its a 3dr or a mk1-2 just do as the above pic shows with some 13.5 or 16cm speakers. trust me speakers sound much better when they're round!!!

6x9's are a compromise between bass and size, so if you're fitting a sub then they are totally pointless really! you want tweeters and good midrange speakers up front, a cheap set of 16cm coaxial speakers for the back for rear fill (quality isn't so important in the back, as tbf when you go to a gig you dont stand with your back to the band do you? the sound comes from the front!)

the sub needs to be wired into an amp, head units wont run them without cooking themself!!!

for a small car the amp needs to be at least 300watt max. but to be honest for the best sound quality you want about 700watts max. and make sure the wiring kit is at least 6awg on the main power line else the amp will get bloody hot!

try www.talkaudio.co.uk if you need more advice. the guys on there are sh*t hot!

Jon.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

car sub advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: car sub advice   car sub advice Empty

Back to top Go down

car sub advice
Page 1 of 1